Thursday 26 February 2009

The Social Business

 

   Despite a couple of years’ worth of posts, Social Advantage is a new blog.  How come?

Well, I started off posting about social advantage at another blog, called the New Social Business.

I’m writing about how employers can manage the social aspects of their organisations, and develop social capital, and ‘social business’ seemed to be a good description for this.

However, social businesses are generally thought to be ones which have particular ‘social’ objectives (meaning: positive outcomes for health, education, poverty, environment etc).

But ‘social business’ at least seems to be interpreted more closely to what I mean than ‘social enterprise’.  See, for example, this description of the differentiation, taken from Investing for Good:

 

Social Business

A social business is a business with social or environmental objectives whose surpluses are principally used to maximise financial return for shareholders and owners.

 

Social Enterprise

A social enterprise is a business with primarily social or environmental objectives whose surpluses are principally reinvested for that purpose in the business or in the community, rather than being driven by the need to maximise profit for shareholders and owners.

 

 

So, I thought that calling my blog ‘the NEW social business’ would separate my social capital focused business from a social enterprise type of business.

But I never really felt happy about the title.  In a later post, I’’ll describe why I’ve picked the name (and address), Social Advantage, for this one.

 

 

  • Consulting  - Research - Speaking  -  Training -  Writing
  • Strategy   -  Team development  -  Web 2.0  -  Change
  • Contact  me to  create  more  value  for  your  business
  • jon [dot] ingham [at] social [dash] advantage [dot] com

    .

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Please add your comment here (email me your comments if you have trouble and I'll put them up for you)